Mother's Day

{ Sunday, May 12, 2013 }

I'm not sure what happened, but I blinked and six months just flew by.  Our little peanut has gotten so big--he weighs as much as a one year old, has six(!) teeth, rolls both ways and is working on sitting up by himself.  I'm writing this while I snuggle his little sleeping body and look down at his peaceful baby face. His older sister is playing nearby and I'm struck by how amazing this motherhood journey has been so far. This is my fourth Mother's Day and I've learned so much in that short time.  Even though I felt prepared for motherhood, there was no easing into it. It was sink or swim as I, as we, struggled to keep our heads above water.  The only thing I know for sure with this second baby is that I still don't have all the answers, but this time around I'm OK with that. 

Soon this little guy won't want me to snuggle him. He'll be too busy, like his sister, to take time to sit with his moms. My days of holding a sleeping baby are numbered and soon we'll move on to different stages.   I'm trying so hard to savor these days; to forget my frustration over not having two hands free to do things around the house. I'm trying to remember all the silly and enlightening conversations I've had with my almost four(!) year old. I'm so fortunate to have the opportunity to help mother these two little beings, these beautiful, perfect babies who are growing too fast. I'm trying, trying, trying to learn how to be their mama and do the best job of it that I can. I am freaked out almost daily by the realization that I'm the grownup, I'm the one whose supposed to be responsible and have the answers. It's a serious job. Scary and fun and tiring and mind blowingly amazing all at once. It's been the best four years.  Happy Mother's Day to all the other women finding their way on this journey with me. 

2 comments:

nutella said...

Very nicely written, so great to hear from you again!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day! This was a beautifully written post.