Silver Lining

{ Thursday, December 04, 2008 }
First of all, thank you so much for all the nice comments on my last post. It really did make me feel better.

Second, if I had known Tuesday was going to be the absolute worst day before I started feeling better again, maybe I wouldn't have whined quite so much. Yesterday was manageable and today was an absolute dream. I was able to be productive at work for the first time in weeks and I made it through the whole day without a nap, which is unbelievable. I'm not even going to tempt fate by suggesting that this might be the end of the worst of it, but I'm sure you all know what I'm hoping for.

Now, a little story. It turns out, I get very nervous before doctors appointments. I haven't always been this way--just lately with any appointment related to the bean. The closer it gets to the appointment, the more and more I start to worry about hearing bad news. Today was our second prenatal visit and I texted the boy during the day to say that I didn't want to go anymore. I was really very scared of hearing bad news. Well, we did end up going and it was definitely worth it. We heard the jelly bean's little heart beating away. It was nervewracking there for a few minutes because the student midwife had a difficult time finding it at first. All of us--the boy, the student midwife, the no-longer a student midwife, and I--were holding our breaths. Finally, there the little one was, hiding, but there.

Hearing the heartbeat on the doppler is such a huge hurdle. Eight weeks ago, it seemed like a lifetime away. Our little bean is now officially a fetus, has its own placenta, and a heartbeat loud enough for the mamas to hear. I'm so proud!

6 comments:

Jesse said...

That's got to be an incredible feeling!

I'm so glad you're feeling better.

I think you should name the kid Bean. Just sayin.

JR said...

I'm proud of the bean too! And so happy that you're feeling better.

I love you!

Unknown said...

wow, that's a big milestone, congrats! hoping it's all funny cravings and no nausea from here til bean's birthday.

Anonymous said...

That must feel wonderful. Congratulations on hearing the heartbeat!

Val said...

Mazel tov (Congratulations!)... great milestone and so glad you're feeling better.

Love that 'bean' nickname!

Anonymous said...

That's huge!!!! I can't even imagine how wonderful that sound must have been for you to hear. Congrats to you and JR.